During the Fall 2011 Semester of the Intro to American Studies 101 course taught by Professor Allan P. Isaac, students were required to analyze the history, significance, and changing meaning of an “ethnic site or monument” within their local community. Some examples include diners, meeting halls, churches, temples, and homes. The posts below include images and summaries of the short papers students had to turn in/ present as evidence of their research.
The Dr. Lewis Condict House in Morristown, NJ was built in 1797 and was occupiedby Condict and his family for many years. Dr. Condict was a congressman, sheriff, andoriginator of the Morris Essex rail line for the town. His influence in the town was veryimportant and helped to make the lives of residents easier. In the 1930’s The Women’sClub of Morristown purchased the house and to this day continues not only helping thecommunity as Condict had, but they also preserve this historical landmark as a sign ofcommunity and history.
Flyers Skate Zone is located in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It is a family friendlyplace where people of all background can go and ice skate. There are many differentprograms for those who do not know how to ice skate. After these programs arecompleted one also has the option to to tryout for the hockey team or join the figureskating club. Skating just for fun is also highly encouraged.
The German-American Society is located on Uncle Pete’s Road in Hamilton, New Jersey. It is surrounded by forests and across the street from corn fields. The land houses four soccer fields and an accommodating picnic area. The building itself is two stories and made entirely out of brick. From the outside, everything seems plain, but once inside, the dining hall is beautiful and filled with crystal chandeliers. The club originally opened in Trenton in 1881 by German immigrants wanting to secure their heritage.
Sacred Heart Church is one of the well known churches in Manville, NJ. It was built back in 1914 after the Johns Manville asbestos factory brought in Polish immigrants. Polish families were looking for a place of worship and were forced to use other locations before Sacred Heart was built. Once it was established the church brought in people from all over. Still running today, the church is well known for its summer Polish Festival where people from all over the state come for their famous ethnic Polish food.
The Railroad tracks which run through Manville, New Jersey are a significant establishment with a very in depth history in regard to the town itself. The trains have been running through Manville since the late 1800’s and made Manville into much more of an industrialized town with a lot of productivity. Prior to the train tracks being placed and built in Manville, there wasn’t much occurring in the town. Manville was mostly farmland, as it was conjoined with Hillsborough as one town. However, after the trains and Johns-Manville Corporation came into play, the town began to grow and became independent, the first few steps in guiding the town to what it has become today.
First Baptist Church Lincoln Gardens was established in 1934 and has oneof the largest followings in New Jersey of over 6000 members. The headpastor is Deforest B. Soaries,former Secretary of State of New Jersey andformer chairman of the federal Election Assistance Commission. The Churchhas been at its current location since 1949 and played an active role inthe black community during the time of the civil rights movement.
New Hope, Pennsylvania is the oldest town in Solebury Township. Located on the opposite side of the river from Lambertville, NJ, New Hope has numerous restaurants one being Marsha Brown. Many who eat there comment on the beautiful outside appearance, and unique indoor architecture specifically the stain glass windows. It was originally a Methodist Church built in 1887, and is the oldest Methodist Church in the New Hope area. Now the menu for the restaruant is predominately based on Creole inspiration, due to the request of the new owner Marsha Brown who is from the New England area.
The Star Diner is located on Route 206 in Hillsborough, NJ. It is owned by a Greek individual and managed by a Turkish man, named Engin. The diner serves American, Turkish and Greek dishes. The diner has décor from the 70s and has been in business as a diner for over 25 years now.
Napoli Pizza is the cornerstone of local restaurants in my hometown. It is a great little pizzeria that at the time it started in 1992, was the only Italian pizzeria in town and one of the very few diverse restaurants that were in and around my home town of Frenchtown.
This is the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, New York. It was founded in 1808, and is one of the oldest African American Baptist Churches in the nation. It was founded by Ethiopian sea merchants that were tired of being segregated in the house of God. 200 years later, they created one of the most influential churches during the great depression and the Harlem Renaissance.
The Neighborhood House of Morristown, New Jersey is located here on Flagler Street. For years this road and the area immediately surrounding it has been the main headquarters of the new populations of immigrants that come to Morristown. As an extremely ethnically diverse town, Morristown is always seeing more newcomers enter the scene, and while they don’t all come to Flagler Street, most of them will have attended some sort of function here at the Neighborhood House.
The Italian-American Independent Club, Inc. of America was established in 1929 in Totowa, New Jersey. It is a club based on purposes of fraternalism, community, culture, and country. It currently has 150 members and meets twice a week to discuss Italian culture, community events, and participate in recreational games like card playing. To this day, the club still functions as a community center for those Italian immigrants that have come to America.
Monroe Hall (Monroe Union Chapel)Originally having been established in 1715, Monroe Hall, previously knownas Monroe Union Chapel, evolved multiple times between a community centerof a no longer existing town and a Presbyterian church originally in 1894.It today lies in the town of Whippany, surrounded by a residential area,and is no longer a religious center. In 1970, it was bought by theTownship of Hanover as a local hall which can be rented out to variousorganizations, such as the Knights of Columbus who hold events andmeetings there.
Throughout the past century, many Hindu temples have been established in the US. One of them that numerous people are aware of is the Shree Swaminarayan temple in Edison, NJ. The temple in Edison is just one of the many Swaminarayan temples in NJ. Lord Shree Swaminarayan was the first to establish these temples and was therefore named after him. The amazing history behind these temples shows how important the Hindu culture really was to people. The establishment of the Shree Swaminarayan temple helped bring an ethnically and spiritually pure community and helped spread the rich Hindu culture in America.
The fast food joint is a long time standing structure that was built in 1963 and has remained structurally the same since it was erected. The building still holds on to its feeling that was the zeitgeist of the 1950’s era when hamburger joints, such as McDonald’s, were popping up all over the nation. The establishment states how America is the best and most proud nation and displays the outright patriotism in every single thing that we do. The Quick Service Restaurant, owned and operated by the Vultaggio family for longer than the past forty years, is a true throwback drive-in that allows for quick and easy service but with few places, other than a car, to sit down and eat.
Here are three pictures from the different parks that I used in my ethnic site paper. These parks are all found in Moorestown, NJ. Wesley Bishop Park was named after Wesley Bishop who died on the USS Arizona during the attack of Pearl Harbor. Jeff Young Park was named after Jeff Young who died in Lebanon serving the U.S. military in a war against Beirut. Fullerton Park the picture without a sign is named after a police officer that died in the line of duty. All of these parks have been dedicated to members of the community who were recognized for their service.
This is an image of Santillo’s Brick Oven Pizza in Elizabeth, New Jersey. It was founded in 1918 by Lou Santillo, an Italian immigrant and baker. Originally located on Seventh Street in Elizabeth, it moved to its current location on South Broad Street in 1957. Santillo’s remains family owned, with Lou Santillo’s grandson, Al, and his wife, Lorraine serving as owners and operators.
Harold’s Deli is located in Edison NJ. With its close proximity to major highways, convention centers, and connected to a hotel it draws in many customers. Harold’s Deli is far from the typical New York style deli, it is placed in a commercial location accessible to many people, both locally and visiting from outside of New Jersey. This deli features portions larger than usual. Cakes towering two feet high and sandwiches weighing up to five pounds make this one of the most unique dining experiences possible.
Martino’s Cuban Restaurant is located on Main Street in Somerville, New Jersey. The restaurant is a family owned business and was founded in 1992 by Martino Linares. Today the restaurant’s day to day operations are run by his sons; however the whole family works to bring Cuban food and Cuban spirit to the town. Though the restaurant may be a low budget and family friendly organization it does not deny its customers from a well-cooked Cuban meal.
Located at the heart of Union, New Jersey the First Presbyterian Church of Connecticut Farms is the oldest faith community in Union as it was established in 1730 by Puritan farmers from Connecticut when a charter was received from the Presbytery of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The descendants of the early colonial settlers decided to build a church in Connecticut Farms; a major agricultural colony and what is now Union Township in Union County, New Jersey. In its rich 275 years of history, the congregation has been served by seventeen ministers and has had its share of peaks and valleys and continues to live by the word of God.
This is Temple Beth Shalom, which is located in Manalapan, New Jersey. It is a conservative temple that has over 500 families in membership. The temple was founded in 1978 and Rabbi Ira Rothstein has been leading services since it’s opening. Since it is not an orthodox temple, members can drive to Saturday services and woman have the same rights in the temple that men have. Temple Beth Shalom has preschool/kindergarten classes, a Hebrew school program, and adult education classes.
The historical house located at 1289 Easton Avenue in Somerset, New Jersey. It was built in 1722 by Symen Van Wickle, a Dutch immigrant from Flatbush, NY. In 1976, the house was put up for sale but later preserved by the Meadows Foundation.
This is the Church of the Good Shepherd in Holbrook, New York. The reason why a Catholic Churchreflects the identity of Holbrook so well is because the majority of Holbrook’s population is eitherItalian or Irish. These immigrants from Europe brought their heritage and religion with them to America,including their religion. Ever since the 1930’s, these Catholics in Holbrook looked to establish a place togather and worship. A council was established and they eventually gained enough money and supportto build a Catholic Church. Since the early 1980’s, the Church of the Good Shepherd has been Holbrook’splace of Catholic worship.
This is the Sikh Temple, called “Gurdwara” in the Punjabi language. Before entering the main room of the temple, visitors are required to take off their shoes in the lobby and cover their heads, as it is required by the Sikh religion. In the main room of the temple where prayer is held, men sit on the right side and women sit on the left side. The basement includes a kitchen, eating area, and rooms for the priests.
Janek’s Meat Market is a Polish delicatessen located in Mahwah, New Jersey. Founded in 1924 by John (Janek) Janisheski, Janek’s served as a place for the numerous Polish immigrants who lived in Mahwah to congregate and socialize. It also provided the Poles of the town with a place where they could purchase traditional Polish foods and supplies, without having to travel long distances by foot.
Black Horse Tavern is located in Mendham, New Jersey. Originally the namesake of the nearby town of Black Horse, today called Columbus, the tavern flaunts its long history and boasts delicious traditional American cuisine.
This is a picture of Saint Philomena’s church, located in Livingston, NJ. The church itself was constructedin 1955. It was constructed soon after the Second World War when a large number of people decidedto move from the cities to the suburbs. This building is used to hold masses and other religiousceremonies for the Catholic members of this parish.
The Asian Food Market in Plainsboro is a good example of an effective ethnic establishment because it is able to perpetuate the tie in of the vast concentration of Asian immigrants (particularly those of Chinese ancestry) living in Plainsboro. The Asian Food Market effectively represents the vast Asian population in the township of Plainsboro. Prior to the existence of the Asian Food Market in Plainsboro, the vacant lot used to be supermarket called “Shop and Bag”.
Holy Trinity Church is located in the little Italy section of the city of Long Branch, NJ.The Church started out as a predominantly Italian church, but since combining with Star of theSea Church and St. John the Baptist is has become predominantly Italian and Portuguese. Massesare held in English, Portuguese, and Spanish. The church also offers a Catholic education for theCatholic youth in the town. Many Italian families moved to the area in order to stay with oneanother and because it was expensive to travel more inland than to stay on the coast.
THE SUMMIT DINER is a well-known landmark, historical site, and contributor to the communityof Summit, New Jersey. In its 73 years of existence, the Summit Diner has served Summit’s schoolchildren, laborers, commuters, and families with homely food, made “on-the-fly” and providing anhistorical experience of the American dining experience.
The Schooley’s Mountain General Store was built in 1830 by John Heath. Much of the buildingremains original. Including the service counter, the shelving, the pressed-tin ceiling, andthe “Astor Gem No. 65” potbelly stove. The only things that have changed are the people that gointo the store and the town it resides in.
Riverside Turners is located on Rancocas Avenue in Riverside, New Jersey.The club’s current location was built from 1933 to 1934. The organizationwas a result of the large German immigrant population. The purpose of theRiverside Turners was to make a “sound mind in a sound body” throughgymnastics. Riverside Turners opened up in 1897 and continues to operatetoday. The club has added basketball, wrestling, and horseshoes to itsactivities.
El Aguila Dorada in Bayonne, NJ
Amidst the White residents and White owned businesses of Bayonne, NJ exists aMexican Restaurant. This restaurant was established four years ago and has been thriving sincethen. Due to the lack of Mexican businesses and the abundance of Italian restaurants andpizzerias in the area, El Aguila Dorada has managed to attract numerous White customers whoseek a change in their daily meal routine. Dining at El Aguila Dorada provides a healthy andauthentic alternative to the Italian food and pizza that Bayonne residents are accustomed toeating.
This is Audubon United Methodist Church located in Audubon, New Jersey. Throughout the years, the building had gone through many restorations to make it bigger and grander, but the original building (shown in the picture) was built in 1908, and enlarged with many of the features shown today in 1917. It is once used solely for worship, but now has become a place for all of the community.
Congregation Agudath Achim, or the Freehold Jewish Center is an Orthodox synagogue located in Freehold, New Jersey. It was financed by the Freehold Hebrew Association and was built in 1911 on Center Street and remained on that street until 1916. It moved to Broad Street in 1950. In 2010 the building celebrated its 100th year anniversary.
My ethnic organization is the Msgr. Crean Div. #1 Ancient Order of the Hibernians building located at 2419 Kuser Road, Hamilton Square, NJ 08691. The three pictures I’ve attached are of the building itself, the replica of Our Lady’s Shrine Knock, and the memorial to American veterans. The building itself was built to be a place where Irish Catholics could come to feel accepted. The replica of Our Lady’s Shrine Knock built in front of the building supports the buildings message of Catholicism. The statue commemorating American War veterans shows that Catholics belong to our nation and support our country.
The people of Pluckemin, NJ completed the Pluckemin Presbyterian Church in 1851. Before the creation of the Presbyterian church there were Dutch Reformed and German Lutheran churches in the towns surrounding Pluckemin. Now the Pluckemin Church holds many extracurricular activities to help out the local Pluckemin, Bedminster, and Bridgewater communitites. Over the years the Church has gone from solely having Sunday services and religious ceremonies to running a preschool and housing homeless families of Somerset county.
This is Moghul restaurant on Oak Tree in Edison NJ. Since 1992, it serves Indian food in a relatively higher class environment. It caters to people from different descents as it has a very Americanized atmosphere and yet still serves traditional Indian food. Its dress code varies as you will see business lunches and casual family dinners going on at the same time. The menu is comprised of Indian foods with influences from across other countries in the Asia.
In the photo, one can see the front of the Fritz Reuter Altenheimer or the Fritz Reuter retirement home. It still keeps its German heritage, represented by the German flag still waving proudly in front of the building. Behind this building is the rest of Schuetzen Park, including a few acres left of what was once thirty-six acres of virgin land where German volk festivals took place. German Volk festivals are a mix of carnivals and amusement parks.
My ethnic site is called Island Sensation Enterprises/ Unit Transfer and it is located at 2327 Kennedy Boulevard. This store is ethnic because it represents the Haitian culture within Jersey City and it is also a common ground for Haitians to celebrate and embrace their culture. Mr. Maurissette main purpose for the store was to spread Haitian pride throughout Jersey City, and till this day he is still fulfilling his vision.
The Bridgewater Hair and Nail Salon is located in Bridgewater, NJ. It was established at this location in 2007 by Lethuy Duong and her husband but was originally established in Manville, NJ in 2001. The salon took the place of what was the Duong’s family’s garage. Toward the left side of the photo is the Duong household and towards the right side of the photo is the neighboring home. Also shown is the statue of one of the guardian lions located at the entrance to the salon’s parking lot. The lion is male and it’s paw is placed on top of a ball which represents the world.
The Knights of Columbus: Our Lady of the Assumption Council meets at the AssumptionChurch in Emerson and has always met there from the day the council was started. The churchis located in the center of the town going from all directions and is fairly easy to get to. Like atypical church, there is mass on Sundays and meetings for the Knights somewhat after.
The Original Picken Chicken is a restaurant owned by a friendly pair of Christian Lebanese American husband and wife, and is situated at 228 George Street, New Brunswick, New Jersey. The restaurant is well known for its fresh, homemade chickens which it claims to be the best in town. In addition to the chicken-based meals, the restaurant offers a wide range of affordable American cuisines: fat sandwiches, wraps, and subs. The restaurant provides food delivery service as well.
THE NEW SYNAGOGUE OF FORT LEE (Fort Lee, NJ)
The New Synagogue of Fort Lee was constructed but ten years ago in 2001 asan establishment through which to better organize educational and socialservices for the Jewish community. Rather than serving an overwhelminglyreligious function as the older synagogues in my town, I found the NewSynagogue to be surprisingly figurative in nature. The building, ofsimple, modest (if not almost postmodern) architecture embraces functionover form. Rooms in the synagogue have been dedicated to weekly classesand even a Holocaust museum.
The synagogue’s construction was a collaborative effort driven by thewishes and donations of schools, Christian churches and other synagogues alike.
Its transformation from a weekly Hebrew class at a senior citizens centerinto a full-fledged establishment that has garnered the public interest ofJews and non-Jews alike, has made it symbolic as an embodiment of Americansuburbia and community values, not just for the Jewish community, but forFort Lee at large.
The Puritan Restaurant is located in Bensonhurt, Brooklyn, NY. It was established in 1977 and renovated in 1991. The diner was owned by a Greek immigrant couple who have now passed down the restaurant to their sons. The diner promotes a friendly environment where everyone feels welcome and can fill their stomachs with amazing food.
This picture is Goldberg’s Bagels located in Westwood, New Jersey. The store just switched locations and is now on 425 Broadway Ave, diagonally situated from the train station. The bagel shop opened up around 1960?s during a time when a great population of Jewish families were settling in Bergen County. Goldberg?s is a family run business which began in the Bronx during the 40?s. The owner of the Westwood store is Marc Goldberg.
The Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart is located in Newark, New Jersey. It isconsidered one out of the four largest cathedrals in the entire world. Not only is thiscathedral architecturally significant, but also all believers of god are welcome to thiscathedral, even if one isn’t catholic.
Saint Peter’s Roman Catholic Church in Belleville, New Jersey has been around since 1838. Considering the Irish-sounding names of the Board of Trustees and the “Irish Hill” the church was built on, I have inferred that St. Peter’s mostly served an Irish Catholic neighborhood. But only at first! St. Peter’s adapted to Belleville’s changing ethnic landscape. In the 1980s, more Spanish-speaking parishioners required the church to include Spanish Masses. As Filipino and Vietnamese immigrants moved into the neighborhood, St. Peter’s added to its schedule again to welcome them as well. Despite financial struggles and the effect modern culture has had on religion in general, St. Peter’s endeavors to remain a safe and accepting space for all people looking to hear the Word.
St. Vladimir is a Ukrainian Catholic Church on Grier Ave in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The church is an Eastern Orthodox church and therefore it is very different in mass style than the many Roman Catholic churches in the Elizabeth area. The building pictured above was established in 1911 but the original, much smaller structure was built in 1904. The increase of the church size was due to the influx of Ukrainians migrating from both Jersey City and Europe itself. Today, the church’s pastor is Father Joseph Szupa who has been the church’s religious leader since 2001.
Having had enough of crossing the river just to attend mass, the Trinity Episcopal “Old Swedes” Church in Swedesboro, New Jersey was finally founded in 1703 by early Swedish settlers along the Raccoon Creek. It was the first Swedish church in the state and is one of only eight remaining churches built by Swedes in the Delaware Valley.
The Siri Guru Singh Sbah Temple in Glen Rock New Jersey is a hub of Sikh life for miles around. Not only a home for worship, the temple is also a school for children to learn Punjabi, a library, and more. Beneath the building sits a Lagar, which is a soup kitchen to feed the worshippers and on many occasion, the hungry.
This is a photo of the outside of Natale’s. I was not able to take a picture of the inside because the patrons eating inside did not give written permission. However, from the picture you can see the sign which has not been modified since Natale’s opened in 1985. Also from the picture you can see the counter where you would go to pick up your pizza. In the back of Natale’s is a dining room that cannot be seen from the picture. The lighting and counters have also not been renovated since 1985. Natale’s is located in a little strip mall in Long Hill on Valley Road, which is the main road in Long Hill. There are also occupied apartments above each store.
The Church of Saint Gabriel’s has grown throughout the years along with the population of Marlboro, NJ. The top image illustrates the new and refurbished building that is used today. The lower image depicts the church that was built over a hundred years ago that holds secrets of the past and stands strong and proud in my small town. The ancient church holds a design that was popular in the late 1800’s while the presently used church is more circular in shape with a lower ceiling and is built to hold a lot more people.
The Ocean Grove Auditorium was erected in Ocean Grove, New Jersey, located in Neptune,New Jersey, as a Methodist camp meeting location in 1894. The structure was built in 1894to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of Ocean Grove in 1869. The Auditoriumwas also constructed to allow for more people to congregate and worship, because the threeprevious meeting places were too small. The Ocean Grove Auditorium has historically acted as a stronghold for Anglo-Saxon Methodist traditionalism in New Jersey attracting many religious figures and even Presidents like Theodore Roosevelt and Richard Nixon.
Houlihan’s opened in Woodbridge Township, New Jersey on April 11th of 2011. The construction and completion was run by A.C.E. Restaurant Group Inc. Partners Arnold Runestad, Chuck Mund Jr., and Eric Mund. It is in the ideal spot because there are many restaurants surrounding it, with it standing out the most because it’s new and attracts people of all ages and backgrounds. Houlihan’s may be considered an American restaurant, but it has food on the menu for every ethnicity.
Club 8 in Hightstown, NJ.
Club 8 is named after the 8 founding members. President Louis Greenwood, Secretary Charles Parrish, Treasurer Richard Parrish, Frank Jordan, Jake Robinson, Wes Gregory, Louis Bowman, and George Howard. This quickly became a pub and meeting point for the black community. WWII Veterans would meet here and the black community would meet to organize social events such as easter egg hunts. Eventually it became a restaurant/bar and is visited mostly by black locals.
The Roosevelt synagogue, built in Roosevelt, NJ, is the only house of worship in the town. It is a flat-roofed building, and shares this feature with all of the other original homes in Roosevelt. The synagogue was once an accepted and celebrated part of Roosevelt, but is now facing opposition from the residents of Roosevelt because of a decrease in Orthodox Jews. The lack of support for the synagogue is leading the house of worship towards inevitable failure.
The Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley is a private Jewish school located in East Brunswick. The school promotes the values of Conservative Judaism and provides students with an education in both general studies, such as science, math, and history, and Jewish Studies, such as Hebrew and Torah. Though the school struggles to maintain its levels of enrollment, it has recently celebrated its 30th anniversary and continues to survive.
This picture is of the Piast Meats & Provisions shop located on Passaic Street in Garfield, New Jersey. The building is designed to look like a mid-evil castle to attract customers and to add a bit of tradition. One cannot help but to glance at the shop as they pass by. This is only one of three Piast shops, but it is by far the most attractive.
The above photo was taken of the South Branch Reformed Church at its 50th Anniversarycelebration in 1900. This Dutch Reformed Church was established in Hillsborough, New Jerseyin 1850 and is still in the same location with only minor additions. Although not pictured,directly behind the church is the church’s cemetery which has been there since the start of the church.
The Famous Midtown Grill is a restaurant in downtown Clifton, New Jersey. It was started in 1959 by Tommy and John Foukas, but was bought by Gerasimo Dimitratos and Dimitrious Doris in 1998. The once hot dog shack quickly became an authentic Greek and American restaurant, serving everything from “The First Best Famous Texas Weiner” to the “Best Authentic Greek Gyro.” The Mayor of Clifton is especially fond of the Midtown Grill, visiting the resturant for lunch frequently.
The St. Francis Assisi Cathedral was built with the finest materials. They walls were limestone with marble wainscoting, the wood was solid oak, the floors were terrazzo, and altar were made from marble imported from Italy. The beauty can be captured from many different angles. The building still looks new till this day, as many people admire the architecture. It is housed for Catholics from all ethnic groups coming together to worship god.
The Pennsauken Mart when it existed
The Pennsauken Mart when it was being knocked down
The lot where The Pennsauken Mart used to be but is now going to be turned into Renaissance Walk Apartments.
The Pennsauken Mart was a flea market/mall for ethnic entrepreneurs in Pennsauken, New Jersey. It contained many small shops and vendors of a variety of
different cultures. The merchants who worked there were Chinese, Russians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Hispanics, etc. It was a big part of the town for over 50
years. The Pennsauken Mart has now been demolished by the county and is an empty lot waiting to be transformed into an apartment complex.
St. James Roman Catholic Church and neighboring Red Bank Catholic High School are two Irish based establishments. The church was built in 1854, and later in 1927 the construction for the school began. The church and school are in the center of town in Red Bank, New Jersey, and are still a major part of the community.
The First Filipino Seventh-Day Adventist Church is a Seventh-Day Adventist Church located in Plainfield New Jersey. The church began as a small group of Filipino immigrants gathering in a home in Newark New Jersey to worship. The congregation continued to grow so they needed to find a suitable place to gather. They went through three locations before finding their permanent residence in Plainfield.
Ocean Grove, New Jersey.
The Great Auditorium was originally built in 1875 as a meeting ground for ministers of the Methodist church, which could only accommodate 75 people. Today, the Great Auditorium can hold up to 6,500 people and is the size of a football field. The Great Auditorium is now used for religious gatherings, speeches, and entertainment. Theodore Roosevelt, Richard Nixon, Bill Cosby and Ray Charles have all presented at the Great Auditorium.
This is the Brownstone House located in Paterson, New Jersey. It is a banquet hall that accommodates large parties, charity events, wedding receptions, organization dinners and much more. The Brownstone also is a catering business and sells its own name brand sauces. This establishment has been family owned ever since it opened up in the 1940?s. Thirty years later the original owners retired and sold their business to the Manzo family. The Manzos? kept the Brownstone a family based company and an inviting home to everyone who goes there.
This is the Circassian Benevolent Association located in Wayne, NJ. For nearly 5 decades the site has provided a public center for the dense Circassian population in Passaic County. The CBA urges local members to partake in the various events and activities offered here, such as a practicing dance ensemble, game nights, Sunday school, board meetings, and more. The primary goal is to promote a sense of community which will help keep Circassian culture and tradition alive through the years to come.
This a photo of The Burlington County Prison completed in 1811 located on High Street in Mt. Holly, NJ. Currently, the prison has been renovated and is being used as a museum. The prison includes 2 foot thick walls made out of stone. As a result of this, the Burlington County Prison is known as the first fire-proof building in the United States. The prison was constructed and built by Robert Mills.
Built in 1922 and opened in 1928, Teaneck High School is a unique architectural structure modeled after Gothic and Tudorbethan style from England. The architectural style adds to the influence the school had on middle class development and educational refinement that began to increase during the 1920s. As it stands now, the school presently defines the progression of these developments from when the school was first built.
This is the present day site of Wiley H. Bates Legacy Center in Annapolis, MD. The flagpoles seen in the middle of the picture is the same flagpole used for the Wiley H. Bates High School when it opened in 1932. The Legacy Center uses almost the exact same layout as the original Wiley H. Bates High School.
This is the first construction of St. Thomas the Apostle Church in Old Bridge, New Jersey. The people in the picture all seem to be white, English speaking people.
This is what St. Thomas the Apostle Church looks like today. There are obvious changes that have been made to the physical appearance of the church. Along with the exterior of the church, the diversity within has also emerged to all different ethnicities.
St. Paul’s Roman Catholic Church in Princeton, New Jersey is the only catholic church inPrinceton. It was founded by Irish immigrants in 1857 and has grown more diverse bywelcoming different ethnic communities to use its space. These groups have been unitedtrough the Church’s religion education programs.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Cultural Center was first occupied in September 1980 and was meant to serve as a social gathering place for members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and surrounding Ukrainian Community. It was used as a venue for weddings, banquets, concerts, arts and crafts fairs to generate profit for the Church and also housed the Ukrainian School on Saturdays. In addition it has worked with other multicultural organizations as well as businesses to rent out its spaces.
This is Cioffi’s Italian Restaurant located at 929 Stuyvesant Ave Union, New Jersey. The restaurant is owned by Carmine Cioffi and was fully established in 1974 after an expansion and location move. Cioffi’s has made a considerable name for itself in the community with fundraising and little league sports sponsorships.
Roselle Park Veterans Memorial Library is set in a small grassy area where in front of it lies an American Doughboy Soldier statue. There are several trees planted around the site giving a very natural park feel. There are flowers, bushes, benches, and small walkways which give it more of a spring-time park look. The library is set in the corner of a street allowing it to have a very wide open view to the public.